Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Thursday, February 11, 2016

Coming Home

Last night I had the privilege of participating in the imposition of ashes at Covenant's Ash Wednesday Service.   It is a humbling thing to receive the sign of the cross and hear the words, "You are dust and to dust you shall return."  It is equally humbling to be the individual who is speaking those words to congregants and friends.  I was honored to impart ashes for several of our staff members--my colleagues who I spend time with day in and day out.  It was a powerful thing for me to be reminded in that moment that we are not only working together to provide a place for people to call "home" but also to find that we are also worshiping together in a place that we have come to call "home" ourselves. 

Ash Wednesday is a reminder of our mortality.  An important moment where we have to pause and confess that this home (both body and church) is in fact temporary, preparing us for home eternal.  Lent requires of us to let some things go, to stop and take stock of our spiritual lives, and to turn --time and time again-- to God. 

Joel 2:13 reminds us of this.
"Return to the Lord, your God,
   for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love,
   and relents from punishing."


What an amazing gift we are given in the promise of God's steadfast love! It is so easy for us to get wrapped up in the mundane moments of life that we forget the grace that allows us to continue taking breath each day.  I think Lent is an opportunity to be reminded of that.  And to be intentional in slowing down enough to take stock of who we are. Yes, we are sinners.  We are mortals, fallen and broken humanity.  And yet.... At the root of it all, we are God's.  At the root of it all, we are brothers and sisters in Christ.  At the root of it all, the Holy Spirit is at work continuously nudging us to make space for God to fill us.  That is what God desires most--to be in relationship with us.    We all know (and have probably learned the hard way) that what relationships need most to flourish is time. 

Since David LaMotte is coming tomorrow, his music has been in my mind, and this song in particular seems to fit the times.  Let's make the time friends, we're called upon to return home.

Listen To "Dark and Deep"

Dark and Deep
Words & Music by David LaMotte

© 1996 Lower Dryad Music/ASCAP
 
from Hard Earned Smile (1996), Good Tar (2001) and Best Of David LaMotte (2013)

On a two lane road through the mountains

I am taking the corners too fast

My head is spinning as fast as my wheels

Shifting from future to past

So many things to attend to

So many places to be

The mountains roll right past my window

Like a half-watched bar room TV
 
       If I could die just for a moment

       Let these worries work themselves out

       If it would all go on without me

      Tell me what's all this worry about?

      A promise is not like a moment

      A moment's not something you keep

      I've made too many promises lately

      And the woods are lovely, dark and deep
 
I remember this friend down in Florida

She used to get lost just for fun

She'd take any turn that presented itself

Just to see where the road might run

It's amazing the places they'd take her

The people and things that she'd find

I've been meaning to look her up again

But I can't seem to find the time
(repeat chorus)
 

Trying to make all the ends meet

It's like I'm skating the edge of a knife

I'm so busy making a living

I've got no time for a life
(repeat chorus)
 



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment