Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Havens

One of my favorite poems that I have ever written.  I like to revisit it now and then.  Though it was reworked in 2008, I believe it began in a draft much earlier than that, maybe as early as 2002 or 2003. You might recognize some places...familiar homes to me, my childhood home in Hurt, VA, Montreat, Woodcreek Road, Camp Fincastle (which no longer exists as it did), and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Places where I would go to find sanctuary.  Places I still like to go.  Where do you seek sanctuary? 

Havens
Being an only child
I would run out
Into the center of a sun-ripened plain
Flop my tiny body
Into the weeds and look
Up into a satin sky
Watching cotton balls
Detach from one another
Forming their own identities
Being distraught by a boisterous crowd
I walked down the root-veined path
The clay soiling my toenails of opal
Beside Lake Susan I found myself
Perched on a protruding stone
I saw that it was lonely and wished
To be submersed in depth, just as I
Being one who loves to stargaze
I went out into the late-night world
And searching for warmth
Reached the road and sprawled
In the middle of its stretch
I wished on falling stars
Until the tangerine sun
Burnt away the violet sheath
Being lost in my faith
Feeling out of place stirred in
With the praise band
And the over-friendly psalm reciters
Who somehow misplaced my existence
I walked out onto a rickety dock
Standing in the middle of a freezing, filthy pond,
And saw Jesus' face wink
At me through the muck
Being depressed as to why he left
I drove up the curvy parkway
Then wound back down again
Until a reached a clapboard church
Where I could overlook his valley home
Cry amongst the dead whose names I did not know
And mourn thoughts of reason
That should have brought me hope


No comments:

Post a Comment