Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Friday, October 14, 2016

October: Pastor Appreciation Month

All week long I had been pondering writing something about Pastor Appreciation Month.  Alas, my dear friend and colleague, The Rev. Charles Jeremy Cannada, beat me to it.  He posted eloquently and from the heart about what pastor appreciation means to us as clergy.  And I would add to that our Chaplains, Christian Educators, and Youth Directors.  It can be a lonely vocation...even when you are often in the midst of many wonderful individuals.  Often times, as clergy, we turn to one another because only we can truly see each other in both our triumphs and our trials.  At any rate, I leave this here for you, posted with Rev. Cannada's permission.  Happy Pastor Appreciation Month to you good sir, I see you, too. --Rev. Lo

This evening, I chatted with a colleague who told me of fatigue, of frustration, and of the deep place that only other vocational pastors can know. Those words reminded me of me.
I don't say this much for various reasons, but I will say this, now. I make no apologies if it is selfish of me, but I will apologize that it has taken me so long to say this: if you're one of my church-attending friends, please express joy and thanks to your pastor. Yes, homemade cookies and a gift ...card to Starbucks are nice, but so is the occasional (and often) simple reminder that you see *us*. That's more valuable to us. That's something most of my friends are too humble ever to say.

We're trying so hard to represent faith and love: something that is big and great. And it's usually with joy that we carry this task with an awe and privilege: we get to be a part of so many lives and communities in ways that are unique, vulnerable, and intimate. But it can also be a burden, because many times our personhood is lost.

While many members express doubt and confusion, we have those moments also. While some members wonder why there are so few people do the work of church, we lament because it means more we must pour in more of our personal or familial time in order for church to happen. While some members share their opinions and thoughts, we sit quietly because we are taught to listen—even as we may feel attacked for doing our job as well as the resources will allow us.
Behind the pulpit... behind the polities... behind the pastorates... there is always a person.

See *us*. Please. See that we are tired. See that we have struggles. See that we give up a lot without saying much about our sacrifices. See that sometimes we need someone just to sit with us in silence rather than asking us to explain the mystery. See that often the best thing you can give us is a firm push to get away from the study, from the congregation, and from the community and to take the time for ourselves that we preach for you to take. See that sometimes we also need to be like Jesus when he climbed mountains or walked on water to get away from the crowds.

These are hard words. But they are good words. Please receive them with my respect. The best gift anyone can give their pastor is the love enough to see our person, because we're striving to lead communities to be better people, too. And that's hard work. It's a hard calling. But it is beautiful.
To my colleague and friend: I see you.

1 comment: