Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Generous In Every Way, Part II

Paul urged those under his care in generosity.  He wrote to the Corinthians encouraging them to give an offering to the church in Jerusalem, "You will be enriched in every way for your great generosity."--2 Corinthians 9:11

Covenant is on the precipice of a new thing.  God is constantly at work in us through the Holy Spirit forming and shaping us for the future.  We are continually being called as Christ's hands and feet in the world.  Such service is fostered by our generosity of time, talents, and treasures. 

Receive these words below from member of the Diaconate, Karen Jackson. Thank you, Karen, for your creativity and your willingness to serve in many ways!


Why I'm in the Covenant Family

I grew up thinking about Jesus' words, "In my father's house there are many mansions..." As a child, I could just picture a huge house with bay windows and wraparound porches, and my view has changed very little over the years.  However, I've come to realize that, if I am anticipating the promised special treatment in Heaven, I'd be wise to start preparing for the gift while here on earth.

So...if I want a mansion in Heaven, how can I best prepare?  By dwelling in a house on earth that is God's--my chosen house of God, Covenant Presbyterian Church.  At Covenant, I feel His presence at every corner, from the weekly worship service to the various committees on which I serve to the community and world benevolences to which our members so freely give of their time, money, and talents.  I've been a faithful churchgoer all my life, but have never witnessed the degree of commitment to God's mission that I am privy to each time I step in the church door.  Best part is... it's not merely hard work for the purpose of fulfilling the church and God's mission, but labor mingled with pure joy.

Am I still dreaming of my Heavenly mansion? Absolutely, but have been blessed beyond measure by being a member of a wonderful church "house" and family while I wait--Covenant Presbyterian.

Karen Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment