Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Monday, May 22, 2017

Paving THE WAY As You Go


As I look over the next few weeks in the life of the church what stands out the most is that we are celebrating Milestones, particularly in the lives of our young people.  This Sunday, we will have Confirmation Sunday.  We have 16 Confirmands from 6th-8th grade and two of them will be baptized.  They've spent the last four months learning theology, Presbyterian practices, world religions, and how to articulate their faith. These Middle Highs should be celebrated and I hope in the midst of all the fun we have as a group, we take a moment to recognize the seriousness of becoming a member of the church--with it comes a responsibility to spread their wings and discern what their God given gifts are and how to use them in the life of faith. 

 On June 4th we will hold Graduate Sunday and we will recognize our high school seniors who are graduating and moving toward new horizons, on to big, bold, bright things!  Our Seniors have been instrumental in the leadership of our congregation.  They've grown up here doing everything from attend the preschool to participating in Sunday School and VBS.  As middle and high school students they've guided us in worship and volunteered to serve as leaders for children's events.  They've served on youth council for the church and the presbytery.  They've chosen to be a part of the life of Covenant, in the midst of all the other wonderful activities in which they've participated.  These elements make up who they are.  

These teens would not have been shaped without Covenant and Covenant could not be shaped without these teenagers.  What a privilege.  What a privilege it is for us to know them and love them.  

What shall I say to these young people?  I'm not preaching the sermon for Confirmation, although I will for graduation.  But, what shall we say?  As adults, particularly in light of our faith--we must walk a fine line between the realities of our day and time and the desire to protect our young people from the harshness of a broken world.  So often we speak of them as the future of the church which dismisses them from being a part of the present.  They have so much to say, so much more understanding than we give credit for, so much energy and willingness to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world.  

When the prophet Jeremiah was called to the ministry, he wrote, "The word of the Lord came to me saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."    

Jeremiah responded, "Sovereign Lord, I do not know how to speak, I am only a child."

God replied, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." 

God has a promise for each of us!  God has a plan for each of us, specifically, God has called us by name and lays out the path for us.  So, at the risk of being cliché or pithy--at the risk of being like those many would criticize in our generation for declaring each of our children, "special snowflakes"-- I would tell each of our youth that they are indeed important! God has big plans in store.  Each of you were born to be someone of greatness.  Each of you were born to be something of endless value.  Each of you were born to go beyond any expectations we can place for you, because you are in God's hands.   Pave the way as you go.  

Sometimes music says it best. Follow the link for some fun, new music from my favorites. 
I WAS BORNPaving THE WAY As You Go
As I look over the next few weeks in the life of the church what stands out the most is that we are celebrating Milestones, particularly in the lives of our young people.  This Sunday, we will have Confirmation Sunday.  We have 16 Confirmands from 6th-8th grade and two of them will be baptized.  They've spent the last four months learning theology, Presbyterian practices, world religions, and how to articulate their faith. These Middle Highs should be celebrated and I hope in the midst of all the fun we have as a group, we take a moment to recognize the seriousness of becoming a member of the church--with it comes a responsibility to spread their wings and discern what their God given gifts are and how to use them in the life of faith. 

 On June 4th we will hold Graduate Sunday and we will recognize our high school seniors who are graduating and moving toward new horizons, on to big, bold, bright things!  Our Seniors have been instrumental in the leadership of our congregation.  They've grown up here doing everything from attend the preschool to participating in Sunday School and VBS.  As middle and high school students they've guided us in worship and volunteered to serve as leaders for children's events.  They've served on youth council for the church and the presbytery.  They've chosen to be a part of the life of Covenant, in the midst of all the other wonderful activities in which they've participated.  These elements make up who they are.  

These teens would not have been shaped without Covenant and Covenant could not be shaped without these teenagers.  What a privilege.  What a privilege it is for us to know them and love them.  

What shall I say to these young people?  I'm not preaching the sermon for Confirmation, although I will for graduation.  But, what shall we say?  As adults, particularly in light of our faith--we must walk a fine line between the realities of our day and time and the desire to protect our young people from the harshness of a broken world.  So often we speak of them as the future of the church which dismisses them from being a part of the present.  They have so much to say, so much more understanding than we give credit for, so much energy and willingness to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world.  

When the prophet Jeremiah was called to the ministry, he wrote, "The word of the Lord came to me saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."    

Jeremiah responded, "Sovereign Lord, I do not know how to speak, I am only a child."

God replied, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." 

God has a promise for each of us!  God has a plan for each of us, specifically, God has called us by name and lays out the path for us.  So, at the risk of being cliché or pithy--at the risk of being like those many would criticize in our generation for declaring each of our children, "special snowflakes"-- I would tell each of our youth that they are indeed important! God has big plans in store.  Each of you were born to be someone of greatness.  Each of you were born to be something of endless value.  Each of you were born to go beyond any expectations we can place for you, because you are in God's hands.   Pave the way as you go.  

Sometimes music says it best. Follow the link for some fun, new music from my favorites. 
I WAS BORN

No comments:

Post a Comment