Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Music Makes It

This week I'm giving a nod....no a standing O, to the music ministry of the church.  I do not know how they do it! But I know this, music is the heart of worship; it calms hearts, it joins voices, it lends words and interpretation when we do not know what else to speak.  It glorifies.

A pipe organ is an ancient instrument and it is beautiful.  Even though I love contemporary music and the use of varieties of instruments in worship, I cannot imagine worship without an organ.  You know what is even more beautiful than a perfectly functioning organ (ours will get there again), the person who plays it.  The art of being an organist is a true gift and I almost wonder if organists shouldn't be on an endangered species list of some sort.  Covenant is truly blessed to have hit the proverbial jackpot in Krista.  A multi-talented woman who is dedicated to her craft and the fulfillment of worship through music.

Here's the thing--I don't play an instrument--and as much as I would like to learn guitar, I just don't think I have the time or patience at this juncture in life to learn.  But I have so much respect for any musician.  It is amazing to me!  I've been in choirs before--I can kind of read music...but to be able to look at a piece of paper and bring those notes to life, amazing!  Covenant has so many talented musicians.  You know what, they don't have to share their musical talents with us. But they do--they recognize the God given gifts and they give back to God with their music.  Ultimately the playing is not for us, it is for God.  And for bells, pianos, drums, saxophones, harps, guitars, flutes...on and on....God too gives thanks, I am convinced.

To be part of a  congregational choir is a special thing. To work together in harmony can be challenging.  All of that "togetherness" to create a magical sound is hard work, and it creates bonds.  I know it does because I've witnessed it in my home church with my mother, and in every church I have served.  A choir becomes a family.  To lift your voice loud enough for the world to hear, well to me that is just plain brave.  Some people say to me, "well I could never preach."  I might respond, "well I could never sing in front of everyone."  That's not entirely true, I could, if you hog tied me....but it isn't my special gift.  So I respect the power of singing, and I hold it like a fragile egg.

Now, can you imagine someone who lives music as if it is as natural as breathing?  To me, that's Richard.  He sings, he plays, he teaches, he directs--give the man his own show!  The gift of Richard though isn't really his musical talents--it's the way he is a faithful servant of God using music as a vehicle.  People at Covenant don't just love Richard because of his gifts, they love him because he shows love, respect, and support to them.  He may joke around a lot, but his love of the Lord is deep and his compassion for people is wide.  Just watch him work with children and teens, as much as any minister, he lives his vocation.

Do you want to know a secret? I dislike picking hymns.  Many a time I have asked Richard to pick them for me.  I dislike picking hymns because I feel inadequately prepared to make musical selections with my limited knowledge.  Luckily, if I do a poor job, Richard tells me!  But what I do enjoy is hearing the notes echo in a reverent room.  I love it when a choir brings the Word with a spiritual, or when a pianist plays a familiar tune with the softest of touch.  While worship is directed to God and not a performance for us--it would be rather dull to my thinking without voices melding together or music reverberating in the rafters.  That is just the tradition in which I was raised.

So today, a standing O for the ministers of music--and all of the talent, the joy, and the love they possess for God, for one another, and for the church they make a home.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete