Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Thursday, October 4, 2018

Everyday Graces

This month I am challenging myself.  My goal is to slow down enough to witness the everyday graces I experience in my life, and reflect on them a little bit.  I've been reading books by popular Christian authors; Jen Hatmaker's For The Love and Shauna Niequist's Cold Tangerines to name a few.  Both of these books are basically first person reflections on witnessing God's movement in their lives and encouraging readers to do the same.  The reflections are on milestones in life, difficult experiences, and every day events that we often take for granted. FYI- they are very easy reads and if you are looking for something new, pick one up.  One of the things that stood out to me the most as I was reading these books was, "I can do this! I have missed out on an obviously needed genre of books and I should be writing these!"  Truly, the discipline to sit down and write a book is daunting--but maybe I could start here, with something simple. 

Perhaps you can join me in this challenge of noting the grace of God that permeates your every day life.  I am taking a photo a day as part of my reflection.  You could do this as well if you wanted and write about the photo before you share it on social media.  Or you could  begin to keep a journal for yourself.  So, below I will share the first four days.  If you follow me socially you have seen these already, but perhaps by creating this format as well, a pattern will emerge as I travel through the month! 

 "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all."  Ephesians 4:4-6


Today, we spent some time in the sunshine at a favorite local place and fed the ducks. It is amazing how blue skies and warm rays can elevate a mood. We observed some deflated mylar balloons trapped in the branches of a tree. We wondered about the celebration they had been for and how they got away. How do we prevent our celebrations from getting away from us? #EverydayGraces 


Rest is important. Snuggling into my comfy bed with a good book my favorite part of the day! We finally made the move to a real bed. This took a lot of effort, mostly on Michael's part, to take apart the old toddler bed/crib and then take apart the day bed to move from downstairs to upstairs. No more calls for mommy in the middle of the night because the blankets fell off. No more insisting we need space themed nap roll on the mattress! (Don't get me started🤦‍♀️) Plenty of room for K and 10 of his fluffy stuffies. The bedding was a birthday gift from grandparents. I got to do some minimal shifting and reorganizing in the room. The hope is that we will all rest better if K is all snuggled in with a bed he can grow into well. #EverydayGraces #thisisfour


Shade. There is nothing like a tall, leafy tree on a bright, hot day. I was thankful for the shady side of the playground as K played this afternoon, and for the church that maintains it so well. A safe wonderland of energy and imagination. It is indeed October on the calendar, but the days are still like August. This must be why I cannot believe October is already here. In a culture where people are constantly "throwing shade" at one another...I much prefer the positive connotations of cool breezes and nature's sanctuaries. #EverydayGraces


It has taken me hours to go through all of the adult curriculum at Covenant. I cleaned out some outdated materials (VHS anyone?) and I reorganized and recounted things. I made lists for each cabinet of what is in there. Faith Formation is so important, greatly valued by Presbyterians. What a gift to see the diversity of thoughts and topics covered in these cabinets. It is in community study, worship, and prayer that we can learn more about God, Christ and living our faith. These books build a strong foundation on which we can stand and speak our faith and live it daily. Perhaps these days the world needs a little more learning and listening and a lot less pontificating. #EverydayGraces

No comments:

Post a Comment