Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Wednesday, March 13, 2019

At what place would you like to be a regular?

At what place would you like to be a regular?

What an odd question!   Thinking about things I love, places I love, what environment speaks to me? The easy answer is a local coffee shop or book store. 

But, when I think about this season of Lent and sharpening my skills to continue the goals I have set for myself this year....I think the place I would most like to be a regular is in my devotional space.  To continue to frequently carve out that sacred time of quiet and contemplation. 

I went on a retreat of sorts back in January.  Each day I met with a spiritual director and we engaged in several different spiritual practices and talked through different devotional styles and the importance of committing to that.  She had a basket of things that she brought along with her to create an intentional space for her sacred time.  When I came home I could hardly wait to do this for myself.  I got my favorite storage container, a mint green wooden box and filled it with all the material things that remind me of God's work, or my own faith story.  Some of the things I placed inside are as follows:

-A pottery dish made by my beautiful, talented friend, Sonya Forte.  In this dish are prayer beads, various crosses, a shell from the beach, and a stone heart my husband gave me when we were dating.  A reminder of the support of loved ones, and tangible items to pray with.
-A stained glass heart fashioned by my wonderfully generous and loving friend, Georgia Chapman.  It was made to hang on a window, but instead I place it in a frame stand.  A symbol of the strength of spiritual friendships.
-A metal cross fashioned by an artist whose name I do not know, that was given to me by the treasurer of the first church I served.  A reminder of my call and the centrality of the cross. 
- A pottery dish with the word "joy" stamped on the bottom; a gift from longtime friend and colleague, Mary MacMichael.  On this dish sits the candle I light to begin my devotions. 
-A hand crafted card from my friend, Judi Barnes, who mailed this to me in a time I needed it most.  It reads, "God's promises are new every morning." 
- A stone from the creek bed at Montreat, given to me by my pastor and friend, Joseph Gaston on the day of installation in the first church I served. A reminder of the holy ground that I love in that place, and the way the Spirit touches me there. 
-A hand towel of light linen fabric sent to me by my friends the Skinners, the host family I lived with during my time studying abroad in London.  It has all the iconic scenes one might think of when considering London, from double-decker buses to Big Ben.  It reminds me of friendships and adventure. 
-A leather bound Bible, bought for me by my spouse with my name embossed on the cover when I was in seminary. 
-A journal, for which I can write prayers and reflections. As a writer, this is an important part of my reflection process.
-A small bottle of Frankincense oil.  I put a few drops on my hands sometimes as a way to focus my mind.  Small things, such as creating this tangible space that is "other", lighting a candle, listening to a song or singing bowl, and having a special scent--engages all of the senses in devotion.  The spiritual director I met with used this scent one day and I was so taken with its citrus-like smell.  It lingered on my hands all day and now when I smell it, it is a great reminder of how that time with her impacted me, as well as the other things I engaged in that day of the retreat.

I want to continue to make this a central part of my life.  I want this to be the place I am a regular because it grounds me.  It reminds me of who and whose I am.  It gives me peace, strength, and vitality.  It opens me up to intentionally listen for God's movement in my life.  It allows me to spend some time contemplating what I am feeling and thinking about in my life. Honestly, I have found it hard to have a contemplative practice such as this as a pastor.  It can be hard to do these things for oneself when studying, teaching, and preaching the Word is your job. But, I am finding various ways to do so, and it has been life-giving to me. 

Are you considered "a regular" somewhere?  Is there a special place you turn to for comfort or inspiration? 


No comments:

Post a Comment