Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Tuesday, March 19, 2019

How do you feel when you look at the sky?



There is nothing more humbling than looking at the infinite sky.  Nature, for me, is a sure sign of God's masterful creation.  I don't know exactly how it happened, but whether in seven days or billions of years, I believe in God as the force of all creation.   To me the sky is like God's canvas, on which God paints beautiful pictures to remind us of God's all-powerful, all-knowing, constant presence. 

When I was a young girl, I remember going out to our front yard on Christmas Eve and looking through the clearing of trees around our home and trying to point out the North Star.  It gave me chills--not because I was wondering if Santa was going to fly by, but because it was so large, so dark, and lit by uncountable stars.  It made me feel oh so small. 

As a teenager I would sit out on our back deck, or even better, lie in the middle of the deserted street, the warm pavement heating my back, and search for shooting stars on which to make wishes.  It was always interesting to me that stars pointed the way for people, for years and years.  That the stars could give directions to hunters, gatherers, and sailors; that the sun and moon were the perfect almanac for the first planters and settled inhabitants. 

In recent years I have experienced some pretty stunning sunsets over the water, enjoying walks on the beach with my family.  The glow of the sun highlighting my son's strawberry hair as he races the tide and chases the birds.  Hand in hand with my spouse,  the sea shells collected tinkling in his pockets.  The sun illuminates that which we often miss in the busyness of our lives. 

One gift about motherhood that I did not anticipate was witnessing the sun rise.  At our family's mountain home in North Carolina I have seen the most beautiful red-orange and pink skies glow behind blue mountains.  I have watched the sun rise and shine across the tree line, creating an amber glow as the forest awakens. 

In the sky God has given me reminders of God's faithful covenants with God's created people.  Rainbows shimmering in the mist speak of the newness of a fresh start after a bleak storm, as well as the constant presence of the One who is, was, and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment