Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Friday, March 22, 2019

How do you feel when you cannot tick off everything on your to-do list?

What?  That's a thing?  How can you make a list and not check off all the things?  Blasphemy!

Things you should know about me: I am a task-oriented, organized, doer.

I believe in files, folders, color coded (paper!) planners, and lists.  Glorious lists!

I am Presbyterian to the core which means if it "ain't" decently and in order it "ain't" right. HA!

I am actually not living by lists right now and it is a bit disorienting.  But, the time for lists are coming again, and when the time arrives I will be ready with my beautiful, inspiring planner and my colored pencils for which each activity has a special color.  And I will neatly plan ahead my weeks and I will write my list of tasks and as I go through the week I will check them off with a satisfying swipe of the pen! I do not have to check them off in order, I'm not a huge stickler for which day I get which activities done as long as they are on time.  But, by the end of my week, the goal is to have completed the list.

How do I feel if this does not actually happen?  Well sometimes it means I have to do a bit more work because the accomplishments are necessary for the success of the week.  Other times, I let it go, and I begin the next week's list with the previous week's unaccomplished tasks at the top.  Sometimes I feel frustrated because events did not unfold like I planned them and something caught me up so I could not finish my list.  Sometimes I feel burned out because I did the best I could and I still did not complete my tasks.

What is changing in my life are the non-negotiable items that will always be at the top of my list, and everything else will fall into place around them because these are healthy practices to strive to be the best version of myself.  This is the "list" I want to be driven by, not the work list, or the grocery list, or the negativity list.

1) Maintaining healthy relationships with my spouse, my son, my family, and my friends by being present and engaged in their lives as best I can.
2) Maintaining a healthy body through daily exercise and eating well.
3)Maintaining a healthy spiritual  and mental life by daily reflection in various ways.

I was recently struck by this quote from Rachel Hollis, and I am going to try my best to remember it!


No comments:

Post a Comment