Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Thursday, March 28, 2019

How do you structure your day?

How do I structure my day? With a cup of coffee in hand. 😏

As I said in an earlier post, I am very much a planner so I like to make lists and feel the satisfaction of checking things off.  It makes me feel more at peace in my life if I can be organized and methodical.  I am not certain this jives with the idea that I am also a creative type--but so be it. 

I've started to think of this not as a plan, but charting a map and navigating the day as I go. Not always a plan, but a routine.  I like very much to have routine and structure, but I am learning to be a bit more lose with the chunks of time in a day.  "Telling time" and keeping clocks is a human construct, so I am trying to learn how to make that work best for this human. 

The first order of business as I plan my day is to take care of myself first.  This is not something I have succeeded at in recent years.  I take it day by day.  But, my morning routine consists of brewing my coffee, loving on my waking child, eating breakfast, showering and getting dressed to greet the day no matter what is on the agenda.  I also try to read a bit in the morning, something for my soul health.  If I do not have the time for that (as with Sunday mornings) I listen to a podcast with the same purpose. 

After I take my kiddo to school, which is most days at present, I spend some time with God.  I know this is part of taking care of myself first.  It centers me and allows me time to sort through whatever is on my mind.  Sometimes I journal, sometimes I pray aloud, sometimes I meditate.  Sometimes I read scripture or another chapter from my current "soul book."  Once I take this time, whether its twenty minutes or an hour, then I can turn my attention to my tasks and lists. 


After that it is just one thing at a time.    Not overloading the mind with all the things is difficult.  I am learning and encouraging others to set reasonable, attainable goals for oneself.  I do strive to do the things that are harder to do with my son around while he is at school.  That way I am giving both my work and my son the most healthy attention that I can without being stressed about it.   When he is safely tucked away with teachers and friends who love him, and my husband is at work, I can retreat to my quiet office den and get to work. 

Here's another thing about planning my day.... another new thing I am trying to incorporate into the routine: regular movement breaks.  After about 30 minutes of focusing, I get up and move around.  I do some exercises or go for a short walk.  Being a pastor can be very sedentary,  it is a lot of reading, thinking, and writing (or sitting in meetings 😜). But, I have to remember that my physical health is just as important as my vocation and that I will serve that vocation better if I am healthy. 

My life becomes more fluid most afternoons.  As spring comes, we often stay after school at pick-up to play with friends on the playground.  I am appreciating the flexibility to do this--I can use the vitamin d and our only child can use the interaction with his peers.  Occasionally we will do other fun things or run errands after school. The lists and planning come into play if grocery shopping is to be done.  There is usually some element of productivity after lunch, but it might be more like doing laundry and reading a book for work while K plays, with the time punctuated by "mommy, I want a snack." 

Evenings are typically for family time, and preparing for the next day.  I'm learning to cook!  I have never had confidence in this arena but I am getting better at it.  What is more I am finding that it is a practice that makes me feel good as a wife and mother to prepare healthy meals for the family.  Usually the cooking happens a few nights a week and then we eat leftovers.  I pack lunch for Kemper most evenings and clean up the kitchen because having dishes in the sink bugs me. Often, I do some form of exercise after dinner.   We end up playing games, or bath time before books and bed. 

After Kemper goes to bed, Michael and I often spend time together.  We also enjoy the time to be alone and have some downtime to ourselves.  Often the cat cuddles up to me in the bed and I read a book for fun.  I tell you, in the evenings I often think there cannot be any woman more loved by the boys in her house than I am by my husband, my kid, and my cat.

I am trying to put the phone away and not engage in social media or screen time for at least an hour or two before bed.  This is tough as I like to be connected, but I am hoping it will be a practice that sticks.  I want to model that for my son, and I also want to be sure I am keeping healthy sleeping patterns.  I like sleep.  I used to sleep in all the time, but being a mom has forced me to be a morning person.  Hence, the love of coffee.  So, I try to get eight hours a night, but sometimes I wake up with my mind going, we all know how that is.  These nights are fewer and farther between however, as I continue to practice healthy habits and incorporate them into my day. 


Saturdays are for family and fun.  We might clean the house or run errands, but we also strive to just enjoy relaxing and being together.  I don't set many plans for Saturdays, the occasional haircut or play date.  We might go out for lunch or dinner, or Michael might cook since he likes to do that when he can.  

Sundays.  Well Sundays are always a lot for a pastor, no matter where or how you are serving.  In fact, even if you are not serving on a Sunday, it is still the central day of the week.  There is a different awareness, at least for me.  Right now, on Sunday mornings I lead worship and preach the Word and I love it.  It is a treasure and a gift I do not take lightly.  Sunday afternoons are for rest.  I won't say we get naps anymore, but sometimes.  But it is usually a lot of playing outside if the weather is nice or just snuggling on the couch, toys spread all over the living room like a bomb went off.  

Believe me when I say it has taken a lot of years and some pretty challenging times to get me to this place of health, happiness, and gratitude.  All you can do is try your best each day.  God's promises are new every morning.  And at the end of the day, give thanks for what you have done and trust that tomorrow is a new day for all that was left undone. 

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the pain of going through the hardships of life. Thanks a lot Lo. This is really helpful for someone who needs motivation. Etizolam RX

    ReplyDelete