Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Thursday, March 7, 2019

Lean Into Lent II

What good habit do you want to develop?

If you read yesterday's post you will know that I have been implementing a lot of healthy practices into my life in recent months.  I also believe that for some folks, lent can be a season of adding something--a spiritual practice or healthy habit--instead of taking something away.  Let us remember that sometimes to say "yes" to one thing, we will need to say "no" to another thing. 

So, here is something I struggle with, and have for a long time: drinking more water. Oh my goodness, I do not know why this is hard for me!  I really believe it is a lack of mindfulness on my part.  I just do not think about drinking fluids as often as a I should throughout the day. 

I have no problem downing my cup of coffee in the morning, but to begin with water....meh.  And here's the thing, I rarely drink sodas anymore and I am not passing over the water for juice or tea or anything else. I'm just not hydrating like I should be. 

I've tried all manner of motivational tools: I've set an app on my phone to remind me (so easy to dismiss).  I've bought tumblers and glasses that make me happy (read here Hollins cups and Hanson cups and awesome mint green Yeti's)! I buy flavored water and vitamin water.  I've considered infused water, but gosh that seems like a lot of work. Still I struggle.  But, I am going to keep trying!

If only I could get back to drinking water like I did when I was pregnant!  I did so well, because I was doing it for my precious baby!  But, here's the thing--all of my healthy practices are in fact for my precious baby (read almost five year old) because if I am healthy I can better care for him!

Maybe by launching this goal into the world I will be motivated.  Perhaps this will provide me some accountability. 

What about you, friends?  What good habits are you striving to create space for in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment