Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Tuesday, March 12, 2019

What is an appliance that you cannot live without?

I believe it was the first Christmas after Kemper was born that my husband bought me a Keurig for Christmas.  This was one of those extravagances of convenience that I just didn't think I needed.  I was doing just fine making my one to two cups of coffee in our coffee pot at home each day.  I would put it on to brew, hop in the shower and get ready then fill my mug on the way out the door.  

When I unwrapped the box, totally surprised by the gift, Michael said to me, "you are doing so much, just enjoy this one thing to make your life easier."  It didn't take long to sell me on this one!  For a time I kept it in my office at the church so that I could have a cup of coffee, tea, or cider at any time throughout the day.  

Now Michael knows that I am up for the day when he hears the Keurig start to brew.  Kemper also recognizes the routine and will say to me, "Mommy, go make your coffee."  

I didn't drink coffee except for the occasional blend from Starbucks until I went to seminary.  I am a "the less it tastes like coffee, the better" type of person.  But, when I started baby Hebrew I figured--I'm eventually going to get hooked on caffeine  so I might as well start now.  Thus began my love affair with the nectar of the gods.  

For a time, when Kemper was a true baby and toddler I drank two cups a day.  There was always a pot made at work so I would have a cup at home and a cup in the office. I've cut back to one cup a day 99% of the time and I rarely ever have sodas anymore.  

So that is it, my coffee maker.  The machine that fuels my day.  If I didn't have a fridge or a stove, I'd figure it out.  Now, to be fair, my microwave comes in a close second--when we didn't have one for a few weeks this winter it was an eye opener as to just how much we use it.  But, the Keurig, yes, the gift that keeps on giving.  

Hmm, I think I might go make a cup of coffee.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment