Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Monday, March 18, 2019

Use one word to describe yourself



This quote from Shakespeare has sort of become my motto or mantra in the last several years.  My mother painted a sign of it for me as an installation gift at the second church to which I was called.  Since then, I have been gifted both a necklace and a bracelet with these words on them.  

Sadly, because of my petite stature and/or perhaps because I am female (and young by many standards); there can be a tendency by some to underestimate me.  People underestimate my ability to be a strong preacher or question my authority when teaching.  People are always saying, "well you don't look old enough to be a minister" or call me sweetie or treat me like a child.  I am thankful that typically after someone actually sees me in ministry or truly knows me, these preconceived notions fall away.  But, it is amazing how other people's perceptions of you can beat you down and make you think you are unworthy.  The truth is that no one can judge your whole story by the chapter of your life that they walked in on.  To do so only limits their own narrative and worldview--not your own.  

I used to think that being fierce meant that I could withstand any situation that came my way without fail.  That I was in control and I could spin all the plates in my life just fine.  What I have learned in the last year is that the fierceness is actually how one can be brave enough to admit brokenness, learn from mistakes, and strive to put the pieces back together in ways that are healthier.  The fierceness is in the getting up every day and walking through the doors that are opened to you.  The fierceness is in trusting the Spirit to be at work in and through all things.  The fierceness is in continuing on. 

So today I claim that I am fierce.  Even in my human brokenness. It seems to me that a lot of people in life will try to tear you down (I'm not certain of the reason, other than self preservation), when really what the world needs is more building up, more listening to understand, more compassion.  

All of the fires I have walked through in my life have refined me.  I am a woman of faith, integrity, creativity, grit.  I am committed to constantly examining what all of that means for me and those around me.  And that, my friends, is fierce.  



No comments:

Post a Comment