Musings from a Pastor, Educator, Wife, and Mother





Monday, March 25, 2019

The Last Supper Question

I've been listening to Shauna Niequist's podcast recently and this is a question she asks every guest she interviews:

If you knew it was going to be your last supper; where would you be, who would be with you around the table, and what would you eat?

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now.  It is a really tough question. 

I think the meal would be held at Montreat, somewhere outdoors. I would love to hear the echo of conversations and laughter bouncing off of the stone walls.  Of all the places I have been in my life, it is still my favorite place on earth. It is the most thin place where I feel the Spirit's presence all around me.   Maybe after eating there would be time for everyone to go rock-hopping or hike Lookout.

Who would be with me at this meal?  Well, my immediate family of course, Michael my beloved and our son, the most amazing gift.  My parents, my in-laws, my sister-in-law and brother-in law.  Our extended family--aunts, uncles, and cousins who are so dear to us.  My best friend of umpteen (read almost 30!!!) years, Whitney and her parents.  My Hollins sisters, my treasures--the women who have inspired me and lifted me up every single day since I met them, and their children and spouses, "the Hollins Husbands".  My "hanily", the girls who have become another tribe in adulthood, just because we met on the sidewalk before a Hanson show.  Speaking of, if this is my dream--Hanson can totally be at dinner too (haha!).  My seminary friends, especially Crystal and her family, and Jeremy.  Two people who have mentored and supported me in some of my most difficult days.  And others too, all those who have shared in this crazy journey of ministry.  My BPC family, who raised me in the faith (too many to name, my heavens.) And the phenomenal women I worked with at Saxon Shoes, who were family to me when I lived in Richmond. 

So you see, it isn't really a meal--I think it would have to be a festival!  I wouldn't want it to be like a wedding where the bride and groom don't really get to visit with anyone who attend.  I would want to have precious moments with every person there.  And I would want them to enjoy each other too. 

What would we eat?  I think this is actually the hardest part of the question.... My Hollins heart says, "Fried Chicken and Tinker Cake, and Mac & Cheese (obviously)."  My Montreat heart says, "My Father's Pizza and Huckleberry Ice Cream."  The Tate in me says, "Grandma Becky's Turkey, Gravy, and Dressing with Grandma Pearlie's white double layer cake for dessert" and the Mitchell which has been part of my identity for so long now says, "We absolutely must have Debbie's Lemon Squares.  And why wait for dessert, eat them first!"  And, since I've been a baby I've loved Spaghetti, so a heaping platter of that would be delicious too.  Or.....or.... P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps.   

So, a festival with a crazy buffet.  Yep, sounds good!

No comments:

Post a Comment